From Shari: My Medical Journey, Part Two


                      
I started feeling blah and sick again at some point, but with my mom's cancer diagnosis, I kept putting off getting checked. I talked to a acquaintance of mine on Facebook and she asked me to see her doctors in Indianapolis. I balked because of the drive, but agreed because I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. 

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease by a naturopath based on symptoms and my positive blood test from 2006. Remember the gluten and dairy intolerances from my childhood? My symptoms had simply changed. She suspected I've had Celiac Disease all my life. If I wasn't going to take her seriously, she was going to order the genetic tests. I purchased new pots and pans and dove into being gluten free for life. 

I didn't get better when I tried on my own in 2006 because I didn't know some teas have barley in them, some vitamins have gluten, and I was still using the same pots and pans. I saw a D.O. who diagnosed me with Hypothyroidism. I started thyroid meds in 2016.

 After seeing him for a year and a half, he happened to notice I still wasn't breathing well. He sent me to an Orofacial Myologist in Granger and she confirmed I had a tongue tie and probably a deviated septum. I had nasal surgery and the tongue tie released and haven't needed my sleep machine since. I had another sleep study to confirm this. I eventually stopped seeing my D.O. because he didn't take insurance and I couldn't afford to continue paying out of pocket.

 I noticed a Facebook Ad for an Integrative Medicine My regular doctor in the town I live in wanted to take me off my thyroid meds because my labs were normal. I'm thinking he didn't consider the fact the medicine I was taking was why. Being gluten free can also help control hypothyroidism. I suspected I had Hashimoto's Disease, but was never told that. This same doctor doesn't think I have Celiac Disease.

Comments

Popular Posts